Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Deborah Turbeville

In the spirit of NY Fashion Week (FYI - Ryan McGinley sat front row this afternoon at Rodarte), and following our discussing of Irving Penn, I figured I'd post about one of my favorite fashion photographers: Deborah Turbeville.














Turbeville began her career as a fashion editor at Harper's Bazaar (an Alexey Brodovitch in reverse?) before transitioning into the role of photographer. Her images have appeared in American, British, French, Italian and Russian editions Vogue, W, Harper's Bazaar, The New York Times, etc. I love that she has such a signature aesthetic. All of her photographs are equal parts eerie and elegant. (Her earlier work, which I couldn't find online, was a bit bizarre and dark.. but still has a fashion angle). Her use of soft lighting and these decrepit-yet-beautiful settings has definitely had an impact on the fashion/editorial world. I constantly see editorials and ad campaigns that seem to be inspired by her images... Like this Chanel campaign from Fall 2008 shot by Karl Lagerfeld.


No comments:

Post a Comment